Sunday, February 12, 2012

Syncline Wine Cellars

 


Most people who know me know that I tend to speak my mind and tell people exactly what I think and feel about a wine, even if the winemakers are right in front of me.  I just don't care and I won't kiss anyone's ass.  Does this mean my judgement is better than yours?  God no!  I'm just telling you what I think, that's all.  Syncline has been around for sometime now and I have followed them from the start.  I remember one day they came into a wine shop that I was working at and wanted us to taste their wines and while others in the shop thought they did not look like a good winery, there were a few of us who dove right in.  I actually almost lost my job because I tasted their wines without the boss there.  Oh well.

The first time I tasted their wines I knew they were going to a major player in the Washington wine scene.  They may not flashy and have these funny names for their wines but they do make a damn fine wine!  Here is what I tasted today.

2010 Syncline Sparkling Wine $40
So this wine I do not believe is ready for the public yet but it sure tasted good.  100% Chardonnay from Celilo Vineyard I think.  Only 200 cases made so when it comes out, get it.  A really nice straw-ish color with a soft almost muted nose of light minerals and light lemon curd.  I think it is pretty damn nice now but also think that over time it will get better.  I'm thinking of picking up a case, holding 6 for drinking and hold 6 for the cellar.  I might allow others to enjoy this with Nicole and I but chances are slim.  Remember..I'm greedy.

2010 Syncline Subduction Red, Columbia Valley $20
This is a mother of a blend: 31% Mourvedre, 25% Syrah, 21% Grenache, 12% Cinsault, 7% Carignan and 4% Counoise.  Only 1600 cases made for this vintage.  I've tasted this wine on numerous occasions, but it still impresses me every time.  This is Southern Rhône all the way!  With a nice ruby color, notes of dark cherry, light dried herbs and fresh ground pepper it tends to be medium-bodied yet elegant on the palate.  The tannins and acidity are perfectly balanced yet there is something on the finish I can never figure out.  It actually kinda pisses me off because I know what it is yet can't nail it down.  For $20, this wine is well worth it and will go great with food.

2010 Syncline Carignan-Grenache, Columbia Valley $25
So this is a bit of a change from last year as I believe it was a 50/50 blend of the two grapes but now Carignan is the winner winner chicken dinner leading the pack with a whopping 60% and Grenache trailing at 40%.  I love the change.  Funny but with the amount of power in this wine, I'd take a second guess that it was made by someone who knows how to make wine...oh wait they do!  I think of this blend as the bratty little child that you really want to hate but always make you smile.  While I was tasting this wine, James was off looking at wines in the shop while I was talking with Poppie about what I thought but then James would jump in and spit a few words out then jump out.  Why might I add this into the note?  To me that just shows you what a team they are.  Wine is rich, full-bodied and could use some time in the bottle but with a little breathing time it will win you over.  Very silky finish for such a young wine.  For the price...Stock up while you can.  I'll assume this is under 400 cases.

2010 Syncline Mourvedre, Horse Heaven Hills $30
So when Nicole and I were at the winery this summer we picked up the last few bottles of the '09 Mourvedre the winery had.  Well the '10 is out and we will need to stack up on more for sure.  Nicole wanted to be at the shop when they were pouring it today but she has a real job and does not get to stand around and taste great wines like this.  Pretty dark yet not over-extracted!  Rich nose of dark plums, light smoke and wet herbs.  On the palate this thing was a monster yet smooth at the same time.  Pretty big yet still very shy and tame.  This is one of those wines that will slowly open up through out the night and you'll just beg for more.  Has some great black currants and dark cherry on the finish with the tannins just slowly slipping away.  OMG!

So there you are.  My long-winded notes from a winery that I have been following for a long time.  As it is 1AM and I am just wrapping this up there will for sure be some spelling mistakes and grammar is always something I have problem with when trying to finish before bed.  Look in the near future for a Syncline tasting at the shop.  It's kinda funny, wine shops that sell their wines really well tend to not follow points or scores yet people that are in bed with Parker and Speculator never bring their wines in.  I kinda like it that way.  Keep the 'real' wine people in the know on wines like this.  Next week...How to open a bottle of wine with only a shoe or a boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment