Saturday, February 28, 2009

2006 Betz Family Winery, Syrah, La Serenne $59.99


Oh My God! First let me say that I know Bob Betz, MW and what his wines are all about. I first made contact with Bob when I was working at Chateau Ste. Michelle back in the later 90s. From there I dove head first into wine. I took classes that Bob was teaching at the winery and took advantage of tasting every wine that the winery had to offer. By the time I had left CSM and moved on to a wine shop in the area, I was introduced to Bob's wines. His wines set the standard for what I wanted in a good Syrah. A bunch of us asked him one time if it was profitable to be a winemaker. He replied with, "when I turn a profit, I'll let you know." Right then I knew it was not about the cash in his pocket. It was his purple stained fingers and overall outcome of his wines.

The 2006 La Serenne is something of a dream. Deep deep red in color. A nose of milk chocolate and fresh Foldgers coffee. With black cherry and peppers onthe palate with silky soft tannins. A finish that last over thirty seconds and the memory of what I want all my Syrah's to taste like. Parker rated this 94 points and I would go a few higher. I tasted this back in late December 2008 at my friend wine shop in Seattle. I later had to find a way to pick up a six-pack and sneak it into the cellar so my wife would not yell at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment