Friday, February 27, 2009

2007 Heartland Stickleback Red $12.99


For $12.99 on the shelf, this is one hell of a wine. I normally do not get so jumpy when I taste Aussie wines but this one was one of the best I've had in a long time. Being that this wine is made by winemaker Ben Gletzer (Amon-Ra) you should expect a little more than the Yellow Tail most New Jersey wine shops carry. POW! The 2006 vintage got a 90 from Tanzer which is like getting a 95 from Parker and Speculator. Warning, do not open this wine around a white counter.

Color of the wine is deep purple or opaque. The nose blew me away as it reminded me of Gril Scout thin mints. I had two other people around me confirm that I was smelling thin mints. I was! Very rich red fruit on the palate with a hint of ink. The finish was medium to full bodied but not enough to knock you down. Wine was very well balanced and well made. Going to try to get this in the shop for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment