Friday, December 30, 2011

2009 Closa Batllet ‘Black Slate’ Gratallops, Priorat


My wine rep brought me this wine a few days ago and asked if I wanted to try it. Being that I only wanted to start off with a dozen or so Spanish wines and I now have 33 on the shelf, why the hell not? This guy is a new rep to the wine world so he still sniffs the cork to see if the wine is good. I’ll tell him after the new year to stop. I still hear wine scores but he already knows how I feel about that. But the wines he brings me are great and he does have a track record with me of around 85% which is a shit-ton better than most in these parts.

So here we have a $20 Priorat which I was happy first off. On the nose there was some great red vine-fruit with minerals lingering around as well. Pretty juicy and a color that might make you want to start to invest in Oxyclean! On the palate it was more red fruit but some solid acidity and tannins. Minerals are there but not as much as they are on the nose. Sweet fruit with a pretty long finish. This made the shelf at 33 Spanish wines now. I think someone is going to be building shelves soon as Spain will be taking over Portugal and Madeira. So those two will be getting their own shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment