Friday, December 30, 2011

Pomum Cellars Wines


Is it me or is Woodinville getting to big for its bridges? There is a section in Woodinville Washington known as the “warehouse” district and anyone with some money and who likes wine seems to think they have an eye for wine making is doing just that…making wine.

I was tasted on Pomum wines and tried to get a little info on how long the wines have been around. They have been around for 7 years now and that’s about it. I first tasted the 2009 Idilico Tempranillo which is a sister winery of Pomum Cellars. Why does everyone have a second label? It was okay but not really structured well. Seemed to be a bit over-extracted and just was not where it should be. Only 125 cases made makes me think this is more of a trial run. It sits for $20 on the shelf so if you like wines that seem to be unbalanced, dark-stained fruit…you might like it.

Next up was the 2008 Pomum Cellars Syrah, which I thought was a nice wine till I heard the price…$32. I mean it is cheaper than a lot of others out there in the warehouse district but let be honest, why are wine in this area getting expensive? Maybe because this is the “it” place to be making wine or maybe people are just pricing wines for the area they make the wine in. I bet this wine in Napa would be about $50-60. I mean the juice was good but for a few dollars less I could pick up a bottle Syncline Syrah and be a lot happier. The wine either needs to sit for a bit or be decanted for a few hours but that still does not explain the over-extracted juice I keep getting. Call it depth or whatever. I want lower alcohol, better structure and less acids.

The final wine was the 2007 Pomum Cellars Shya Red. First think I noticed was the weight of the bottle. The bottle itself is a fucking weapon. C’mon, just use a normal bottle weight ans save some cash for either the pocket or put it back into the winery. Just my two cents though. Wine was actually pretty sound with a decent amount of black fruit. Wine is full-bodied but tends to have some serious spices going on. I like the wine but it does need to breathe an ass-load! I’d decant it for at least a few hours before serving. The price is about $38 and I’m not really happy about that. There are a lot of wines that are doing the same thing better for much cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment