Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2001 Piero Busso Barbaresco San Stefanetto $110


I really like Italian wines and this is by far I think my favorite one! I first tried this wine at a Vias (past importer) tasting some years back and everyone I was with fell in love with it. Matter fact we bought I think most of it up in the state then sat on it and only told a select few which I thought was bullshit since I wanted everyone to try it. Any who, I picked up a case or so and stashed it throughout the years only to crack one here and there. This was the last bottle I had of the single vineyard 2001 vintage.

Nicole and I had our friend over for dinner last Sunday and I decided it was time to crack this gem. Paired it up with some nice fillet mignon's from our butcher that I BBQ'd with a few other stuff that really is not important.

I let the wine breathe for about ten minutes or less, I mean it is 10 years old and should be perfect right? Right! Once the cork came out Nicole asked what that smell was. It was the smell of dedication and love. Rich cherry notes with a helping of blackberry and some spices. On the palate it was like we were drinking liquid silk with some great fruit notes and light tannins. Perfectly balanced does not sum up the quality of this wine! The finish lasted for around a minute then it was back to the glass. We each got two good sized glasses and it was done.

If Piero Busso was on the stock exchange I would invest my life savings and live of the interest. It is that good. Sadly I just went to his website and noticed that the San Stefanetto was not listed as one of the vineyards used. Although this saddens me, this will not stop me from buying more of his wine. Matter fact Nicole and I are planning on a trip there and will be stocking up on all his reds for drinking in the future (with us tasting before we buy anything of course, just cause I love a producer does not mean I will not taste before I buy. Just a simple rule I live by).

I leave you with this thought...Whenever you try a wine that you like, DO NOT say you will come back to get more or just think about it! You will forget and a once in a lifetime chance of pleasure will skip you by. Don't just buy a few bottles. Somehow pick at least a case for the cellar cause you know you will drink a few bottles by the time you find another wine you need and by then the first wine will be gone. This is not a sales pitch but just some friendly wine nerd advice.

Cheers.

Santo

No comments:

Post a Comment