Tuesday, July 5, 2011

2007 Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo $14


When I was in NJ and consulting for a wine shop there, I used to buy this wine in cases of 10. For one to get a good deal on it but also because people would buy me out every week. It's been over 3 years since my palate had tasted this and since we were looking for a quick red to go with some BBQ burgers, we decided on it.

As soon as the cork came out I could smell the stink. It was the stink of love. Some nice toasty notes with blackberries and light hints of dried leather. On the palate it reminded me of drinking wine with my grandpa Trino while we were hunting. Rich is flavor yet slicker than snot on a brass door knob. The finish was very easy and begs you to take another sip. Matter fact, right after it was opened I poured some in Nicole's glass, left mine so I could toss the meat on the grill and Nicole yelled out...Great wine babe! Came back in and took a sip. She was right. It was really great wine and at a fraction of the cost. This will be on the shelf at the shop. Hell, I'll take the whole Masciarelli line for that matter.

Maybe I could get some large format bottles for weddings and special occasions?

No comments:

Post a Comment