Saturday, January 14, 2012

Natalino del Prete Wines


I tasted these wines when I lived in Rome and kinda forgot about them until I noticed an importer was bringing them in.  So I sent out a text message about them and said I wanted to taste them.  Two days later the wines were sitting on my bar at the shop and guess what?  Just like I remembered!  Old world all the way.

Del Prete wines are all organic and natural from Puglia with slightly higher than average alcohol for the area, around 13%-15% but do not taste like high-alcohol crap you can get from California or might I say even Washington?  Almost no information can be found online and the importer has no info either.  

These wines are something out of a dream as they taste like they could age for another 10 years but it might be hard to hold myself back.  Wines like these are what makes my job so difficult sometimes.  

2009 Natalino del Prete Primitivo del Salentino "Nataly" $20 per 750ml

Being that this wines is a Zinfandel you might expect a few jammy notes and a few spices but not really on this betty.  Some light floral notes with good spices and light tobacco.  On the palate it was medium to full-bodied with some good dark tree-fruit hanging around.  As it sat in the glass it seemed to show more depth with some old-world notes of anise and more earth notes.  This is a great wine that once people open it up and see what this little producer has to offer, they will wake up and realize...this is what a wine should be.  Organic, natural and old world!  Love it.

2009 Natalino del Prete Salice Salentino "Torre Nove" $20 per 750ml

To start off I would guess that this is a blend of Negroamaro and Malvasia Rosso but again...just a guess.  Pretty rich in color but some solid spices and a light dustiness with some rich color hanging around. Hints of leather and tobacco with some great notes of dark vine-fruit.  Palate was rustic and some rich fruit notes.  Solid body and structure with medium tannins that were pretty smooth.  These wines are something that should not be overlooked.

2010 Natalino del Prete IGT Salento Aleatico $20 per 500ml


So this wine was on the rich and potent side of things.  Super dark in color with notes of rich black fruit and light ruby goodness.  Hints of fresh raisins and prunes where lingering around.  The palate was rich or should I say...wealthy?  High acidity yet very balanced.  Overall this is a wine that could use a few years but as it hit the air it calmed down.  I loved it the way it is right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment