Thursday, February 17, 2011

2008 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape $61

I’m sorry did someone get a perm when I was tasting this wine? Really though the first whiff I got was the smell of a salon. I loved it as I knew it would blow off but others were already turning their noses at it. Not the person I was with but other people around. Fine, more for us.

After the smell of a cheap salon and sweat socks blew off we got down to business. Pretty deep red in color with some nice spices, picked red vine-fruit and a quick dash of pepper. The pepper was going back and forth toward the white and black side of things. Great structure as this is a wine not to play with. You need to let her work for you. The finish was very nice but I was afraid she was going to jump up and slap me at any moment. This wine is a tease.

This wine was also just released or will be ready for purchase very soon so it will need some time in the bottle before she is truly ready to break open.

No comments:

Post a Comment