Friday, February 11, 2011

2008 Owen Roe Yakima Valley Red $43.99

Now we are getting to the side of Owen Roe that I feel most people do not see. These are the serious, a bit more spendy and tend to have a bit more kick to them. I love them. This is a blend of 36% Cab Sauv, 33% Merlot and 31% Cab Franc with 16 months in French oak but only 34% being new French oak. Trust me it does matter. If you put everything in new French oak it comes out tasting like a shitty wine from one of the Washington cult wineries. Then when I go to Starbucks I hear people in line talking about how they just their allocation of so and so and how much they spent on it. Big fucking deal, it still taste like asshole with a hint of oak and ashtray.

All grapes were picked from the Yakima Valley and from three vineyards being; Red Willow, Elerding and one of my favorites DuBrul. Only 865 cases of them stuff was made so get it while you can people. This was one of those wines where I could have just stuck my hooter in it all night and sniffed. The color was dark as night so again, don't wear a white shirt. On the nose though it was loaded with black and red tree fruit with a light hint of fresh-cut green ferns. On the palate there was some spice and a bit of pepper but the tannins were very soft and with a finish that begged you for another glass. This is what Washington wine is about. For the price of $44 bucks. I'd do a couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment