Monday, February 14, 2011

Novelty Hill Winery Visit


The following 4 wines were tasted with my friend Nicole who seems to share the same views on wines as I do. I've tasted some of Novelty Hill's wines in the past but figured I should give them another shot. I asked Nicole to come along as I wanted someone who was not going to rake the wines over the coals. My bad as she has a great palate and in the middle of the tasting she turns to me and tells me she liked the wines we tasted at the Châteauneuf-du-Pape tasted instead. We went through 4 of the wines and in the middle of each wine she just looked at me with this blank look on her face. She was not impressed, unlike the night we tasted the vertical of Valdicava.

One thing that pissed me off was the staff that seemed to be less friendly to help me since we were not going to spend money on the wines. I did hear one person tell customer at the bar that that a white wine was aged in new French oak for 18 months while it was really aged for only 10 months. Then I heard another lady say that Chardonnays from Napa are more like French wines than Washington wines since they are full bodied and aged in French oak for that toasty vanilla note. REALLY? Maybe the winery should worry less on how their employees look and more on education.

No comments:

Post a Comment