Thursday, February 10, 2011

Januik Winery Tasting


Look at how deep red this wine is. Even on the rim it is solid. Shit it should be, this was my spit bucket I was using while tasting at the Januik Winery.

Now that I have your attention here are my notes from the four wines I tasted today on this very shitty, rainy, windy and cold Seattle Sunday. As my wife would say "This wind is bullshit!"

The first time I tasted Mike's wines were at the 2001 charity auction of Washington wines at Chateau Ste. Michelle. He pulled out the 1999 Columbia Valley Merlot. I'll assume it was aged for 18 months in new french oak since when it hit my palate it felt like someone had put pepper, spices and TNT into my mouth and shook my head up like a fucking martini mixer. That's when I realized that this guy knew his Merlot and people who said they did not drink Merlot were never introduced a good Merlot like his.

Winery was packed with people who were talking shit about all the wines they have at home. I love how people only name drop first growth Bordeaux when you know they have never tasted one in their life. I held back from commenting and giving my 2 cents since I would have had to ask for change back.

No comments:

Post a Comment