Thursday, February 10, 2011

2008 Betz Family Winery, La Serenne, Yakima Valley, Syrah $62


I've known Bob Betz, MW for over ten years now and he is by far someone you can sit down and have a conversation about wine with and you'll never feel like he is putting you down for the lack of knowledge you might have. He is a Master of Wine which is 1 of 289 people in the world to hold this title. One might say, he knows his shit!

The 2008 La Serenne is a Yakima Valley wine with all the berries coming from the Boushey Vineyard. When it comes to the color, this wine is almost black. Don't spill this on any white counter top. The nose of this wine is loaded with black vine fruit with a really nice earth note that follows. (When I say earth, I mean dirt) Hints of wet leather are hanging around as well. The fruit follows through on the palate as the medium soft tannins fill out and make the fruit follow to a nice finish.

Overall this is a great wine that shows a Washington State Syrah can compete with its French counter-parts. Price per bottle will run you about $62 each. Most collectors will grab these up as soon as they come out but the average person will use this as a special occasion wine. I go both ways when my wife lets me. Most of the time I try to hide the fact that I am spending the money on the wine. I tend to get in trouble a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment