Sunday, March 1, 2009

1997 Romano Dal Forno, Recioto Della Valpolicella $210


So I wasn't going to bring this one out but while I was with a few friends tasting wines from Italy one friend in particular pulled out a gem that I have always been a fan of. Since he tried to out do me and we were tasting at my house, I had the opportunity to head down to the cellar and pull something out of my ass!

When I dropped this bottle on the table, the jaws dropped. I think most of them thought it was a joke and that I was not going to crack open a Dal Forno Recioto for just a monthly tasting group, but I did. I have nine more so why the hell not? Seemed like a good time to show them the kinds of wines I truly enjoy.

When it comes to the 1997 Dal Forno Recioto's color, I am talking blood red! Flat out! Nose wise, this bitch is just barking maple syrup, roasted hazelnuts, and cappuccino. On the palate, loads of black berry and black cherry jams. A wine that is so juicy it feels like it is running down your chin. You wanna talk viscosity...its like trying to stir motor oil in your glass. The tannins in this beast were so soft, it felt like I had a thin layer of silk in my mouth. Amazing since this saw 38 months in new oak barrique's.

Now this is not a wine that most people are going to crack open with their Sunday dinner, but damn...this little juicy gem was all that and a bag of chips!

With a blend of 40% Corvione, 30% Rondinella, 30%Croatina, Romano did an amazing job. I can't wait to see him right after harvest in September! Oh, by the way...$210 is for a half bottle! Enjoy my fellow wine nerds!
**Imports through Vias Imports

No comments:

Post a Comment